Perfect Pipeable Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Made with LorAnn's Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion and NEW Coral and Lime Green Liquid Gel Food Coloring, this Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe will sweeten and brighten up all your creations. Put your piping skills to the test and create a fall-inspired Lambeth cake for all of your autumn celebrations!
2 ¾ sticks salted butter
6 large egg whites, room temperature
1 ¼ (250g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon LorAnn Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion
3-4 drops Assorted Liquid Gel Food Colors (We used Lime Green and Coral)
Pinch of salt
1. Before starting, wipe down the mixing bowl, whisk attachments, and all other equipment with white vinegar to ensure there is no fat residue on anything.
2. Add the egg whites and sugar to a stand mixer bowl and set over a double boiler.
3. Stir constantly until the egg whites reach 140°F-144°F. Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Using a stand mixer, whip the egg white and sugar mixture on high speed using the whisk attachment until medium-stiff peaks form.
5. Turn mixer down to the lowest speed and slowly add the softened butter in chunks.
6. Next, add the butter vanilla flavor and whip on high speed for 8 minutes.
7. Place the bowl back over your double boiler to soften the butter a bit more, about 30-60 seconds until small puddles form at the bottom of the bowl (this process is called tempering).
8. Transfer to the paddle attachment and beat for 5 more minutes on low speed until it is shiny and completely smooth.
9. Divide buttercream into separate bowls and color using LorAnn Liquid Gel Food Colors of choice.
Double this recipe if you want more buttercream for cake decorating.
Share your creations with us on social media!