6 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups and 1 tablespoon sugar, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon LorAnn Pure Vanilla Powder
FOR LEMON CURD:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
Fresh blueberries and mint - optional
1. Preheat oven to 225°F.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat the egg whites on med/low until the beater begins to leave tracks.
4. With the mixer on, gradually add the sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, waiting for the sugar to completely dissolve before adding more.
5. Turn mixer to high speed and continue to beat until glossy stiff peaks form.
6. Fold in lemon juice, vanilla powder, and cornstarch.
7. Add meringue to large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, taking care not to avoid making air pockets in the bag.
8. Begin piping nests by staring in the middle and spiraling outward, 3 inches. Pipe a loop around the edge to create a dam for the filling.
9. Bake at 225°F for 75 minutes.
10. After 75 minutes, turn off the oven and allow the Pavlova to continue to bake with the door closed for another 30 minutes. The outside should be dry and crisp.
11. After removing the Pavlova from the oven, transfer the pavlova on parchment paper onto a cooling rack and cool to room temperature.
FOR LEMON CURD:
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and eggs.
2. Add the butter and cook over low heat, stirring continuously with a whisk, until the first bubble appears on the surface of the mixture and the curd is thick enough to hold marks of the whisk, about 6-8 minutes.
3. Strain the lemon curd through a fine-mesh strainer if you don't want the lemon zest in the curd. Transfer the hot lemon curd to a bowl or jar and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold, then take off the plastic wrap and replace with a lid.
NOTE: If you will NOT be assembling right away, place Pavlova in an airtight container to protect from humidity.
1. Spoon lemon curd into each pavlova and top with berries and fresh mint. Serve within 4 hours of assembly.
Makes about 8-10 small pavlovas. The curd will keep fresh in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
Share your creations with us on social media!