Lemon Basil Cookies
Our spin on a classic Lemon Basil Drop cocktail in cookie form. Using fresh basil and our Pure Lemon Oil, these cookies are bursting with citrus and spice flavors. The lemony, peppery, and herbal flavors and aromas in this cookie will have you dreaming of summertime and patio sipping. Roll dough in chopped pistachios for a salty, crunchy touch.
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, softened (1 and 1/2 sticks)
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon LorAnn Pure Lemon Oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest - optional for ambiance
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup shelled and chopped pistachios
3 tablespoons sugar or cane sugar for coarser texture
FOR COOKIE DOUGH:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter.
4. Add the sugar and cream well. Next, add the egg, mixing until just combined.
5. Add lemon juice, lemon oil, zest, and basil and mix until just combined.
6. In two additions, place the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, mixing between each addition.
7. Chill dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
FOR PISTACHIO SUGAR TOPPING:
1. Shell and chop your pistachios using a food processor and pulse until you have small chunks. Do not over pulse as the pistachios will become too powdery. Place chopped pistachios into a small bowl.
2. Add sugar into the bowl with chopped pistachios and mix well.
3. Shape the dough into small balls using a spoon or a cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon each).
4. Roll each ball into the pistachio/sugar mixture and then place evenly on the lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool a few minutes on pan before moving to a cooling rack.
Makes 25 small cookies. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days. Dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Share your creations with us on social media!