"Even Better" Confetti Cake
Inspired by the rainbow sprinkled boxed cake we grew up with as kids; what makes this bright and fun confetti cake "even better" is the secret ingredient! Add Princess Cake & Cookie Bakery Emulsion to both the cake and buttercream frosting for a rich, nutty flavor with citrus undertones. Cover with rainbow colored sprinkles to make it feel like everyday is your birthday!
3 cups (360g) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (400g) white sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons LorAnn Princess Cake & Cookie Bakery Emulsion
1 cup (227g) melted butter
1 1/3 cups (320g) full-fat sour cream
1/2 cup (100g) sprinkles
2 cups (454g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 cups (720g) confectioners sugar
1/4 cup (57g) heavy cream, as needed for desired consistency
1 teaspoon LorAnn Princess Cake & Cookie Bakery Emulsion
pinch of salt
rainbow sprinkles, for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and prepare three 6” springform cake pans with cooking spray and parchment rounds. In a medium to large sized mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt, then whisk together to combine.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add eggs, sugar and LorAnn Princess Cake and Cookie Emulsion. Beat on high for around 5 minutes, the mixture should look thick, fluffy, and be tripled in volume. Then, slowly drizzle in the melted butter. After all the butter has been added, beat for an additional minute.
3. On low, add the dry mixture to the stand mixer in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream in between. Beat only until the batter becomes smooth. Fold in the sprinkles.
4. Divide the batter between the three pans, then bake in the oven for around 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely before assembling.
1. Add the butter to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
2. Turn the stand mixer to low and slowly add the confectioners sugar. Beat until completely incorporated, then add in the desired amount of heavy cream, LorAnn Princess Cake and Cookie Emulsion, and salt. Beat until well-combined and fully incorporated.
FOR FROSTING AND ASSEMBLY:
1. Level off each of the cake layers to remove any doming from the cakes. Place one cake layer onto your serving plate or onto a cardboard cake circle.
2. Spread a ½” to 1” thick layer of buttercream on top of the cake layer.
3. Add the second layer on top, then repeat step 2.
4. Add the final layer onto the cake, then frost the outside and top with the remaining buttercream. Pipe buttercream on top for decorative top, then add additional sprinkles to the bottom of the cake. Place the cake into the fridge for about 2 hours.
Makes a 3 layer, 6-inch cake
Share your creations with us on social media!