Chocolate Rum Cupcakes with Toasted Ginger Meringue
With moist, rum-flavored cake infused with coffee, ginger meringue toasted to golden perfection, and the cutest little gingerbread cookie to top it off, these Chocolate Rum Cupcakes with Toasted Ginger Meringue having everything you could possibly want in a dessert.
1 ½ cups gluten free baking flour (1:1)
½ cup dutch processed cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup hot coffee
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp LorAnn Rum Bakery Emulsion
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
FOR MERINGUE FROSTING:
1 cup aquafaba, reduced and chilled*
1 tsp cream tartar
1 cup cane sugar
⅔ cup water
½ tsp LorAnn Ginger Super-Strength
½ tsp LorAnn Pure Vanilla Extract
Mini gingerbread cookies
FOR GINGERBREAD COOKIES:
1 tbsp ground flax meal
3 tbsp water
½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
½ cup cane sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup molasses
2 cups gluten free baking flour 1:1
3 tbsp arrowroot flour (tapioca flour)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp salt
*To make reduced aquafaba, reserve the liquid from a can of garbanzo beans. You should have about 1 cup. Add the aquafaba to a saucepan and simmer for 8-10 minutes and the aquafaba has been reduced by half. This will leave you with just under a ½ cup. Chill until ready to use.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a light colored muffin pan with cupcake liners in every other cavity.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add in the coffee, oil, extract and vinegar and stir until no dry spots remain
4. Use an ice cream scoop to fill the liners about ¾ of the way full.
5. Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes and cooked through. Let cool.
For Meringue Frosting:
1. Add the reduced aquafaba and tarter to a clean stand alone mixing bowl and using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the water and sugar to a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 7-8 minutes and has become a syrup. Remove from heat.
3. While the mixer is on a low-medium speed, add in the syrup, extracts and pinch of salt. Beat on high speed for an additional 2-4 minutes and stiff peaks form.
4. Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and decorate each cupcake. Use a kitchen torch to lightly toast the meringue. Top with a gingerbread cookie and serve.
For Gingerbread Cookies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the flax and water, set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 5 minutes, until fluffy and lightened in color. Add in the molasses and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add in the flax+water mixture and continue to mix until incorporated.
4. In another bowl, stir together the flours, spices and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined and the dough starts to pull away from the bowl.
5. Dust a clean surface with flour. Roll out the dough until it’s roughly ¼ inch in thickness. Use small gingerbread cookie cutters to cut out cookies. Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes. Let cool.
Share your creations with us on social media!